Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting is a mouthful, right? Well this homemade marshmallow buttercream frosting made with peanut butter bumps up store bought brownie mix cupcakes with chocolate chips.
So the other day I was asked if I could bring a little sweet something to a party and to tell the truth, I was a little tapped out. Somedays I can crank out several wicked recipe ideas and then others I am stuck. Mired in what to do next. I was in the mood for a blondie or a brownie, but wanted to switch it up and went with cupcakes. I mean everyone gets their very own individual piece, right?
I was limited on time due to procrastination, and when at the market, grabbed a box of double chocolate brownie mix. I don’t usually go that route as I like to make my own, but this worked. Easy peasey. What came to mind as a frosting was a creamy, delicious buttercream, but what flavor. Peanut butter is killer with chocolate and back home I went to start baking. That is how these Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting came about.
Of course I had to take some photos, I found them most inviting. Although I would recommend not using chunky peanut butter in the frosting. It made piping a bit, shall I say, challenging. A bit of a splatter and splutter later and I had to scrape a few away and start again. I wanted these to look good!
For the brownie batter it was simple as following the box’s directions, although I did add a half cup of chocolate chips in, because I can. For the baking I altered from the package to suit my needs. Divide the batter into paper lined muffin pan.
Bake at 325°F for 24-26 minutes. Depending on your oven, maybe check at 24 minutes with a toothpick. If it comes out clean they are done, if not continue baking. I preferred them a little underdone and fudgy, so when I pulled the toothpick out it was slightly wet. They will still cook a bit after being removed from the oven.
Ain’t nobody got time for a dried out brownie cupcake!
As the cupcakes were a baking I whipped up this beautiful peanut butter buttercream frosting.
In a mixing bowl add the butter, powdered sugar and cream together. Add the peanut butter and mix until smooth. I felt like it just needed another something to bump it up and added some marshmallow cream to the mix. Now it was perfect!
After the brownie cupcakes have cooled, pipe the peanut butter frosting on top in a circular motion. Grab a glass of milk and sample one of these after a job well done, I did.
Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- 1 box brownie mix 19.5 oz 1 lb 3.5 oz
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup peanut butter chunky optional
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven and follow the brownie mix instructions.
- Bake at 325°F for 24-26 minutes. Depending on your oven, maybe check at 24 minutes with a toothpick. If it comes out clean they are done, if not continue baking. I preferred them a little underdone and fudgy, so when I pulled the toothpick out it was slightly wet. They will still cook after removed from the oven.
- For the frosting: In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add the peanut butter and mix until smooth. Add the marshmallow cream and mix until smooth.
- Fill a piping bag with tip of choice and pipe in circular motion on top of each, cooled brownie cupcake.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.