This Baked Greek Chicken dish is just bursting with amazing flavors. A simple yet powerful flavor-punch marinade of fresh lemon, garlic, oregano, olive oil and Greek yogurt is all you need.
Baked Greek Chicken
What I really love about this recipe is that the marinade breaks down when the chicken is baking and the sauce is fantastic for dipping. The milk solids caramelize and the flavors are just outstanding. I spoon it over the side dish of either couscous, rice, or just let a crusty piece of bread soak up the goodness. It reminds me of my Thai Roasted Chicken in Coconut Milk recipe.
BUT, back to this Greek recipe!
What’s in the marinade?
In a bowl went the plain Greek yogurt along with the zest and juice from a lemon along with red pepper flakes, chopped fresh oregano, parsley and olive oil. Whisk this together and toss the chicken and marinade all over to coat. I wanted to use dark meat because I think it has more flavor and these marinated for 1 hour. A sprinkle of black pepper as well and in the refrigerator they went.
I also like to skewer chicken tenders or breast meat, but the other night it was time to bake the thighs as I had no propane for my grill. It worked beautifully and I still got that nice crunchy, slightly charred exterior you pick up from grilling.
I’ve also served this with my Herb Roasted Poupon Potatoes.
Easy Baked Greek Chicken
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs chicken pieces (bone in)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 1 lemon, medium (4 tbsp juice and zest from entire lemon)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a bowl whisk together the plain Greek yogurt along with the olive oil, garlic, zest and juice from a lemon, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, chopped, fresh oregano and parsley.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 minutes minimum to an 1 hour (See Note 2).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Use cooking spray or olive oil and coat the inside of a baking dish. For four pieces I use an 8x8" pan, but if more use a 13x9" baking dish. Shake off excess marinade and place the chicken pieces in a single layer. Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown and chicken has 165°F internal temperature (See Note 1).
- If using boneless chicken, drop cooking time to 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Yes, you can use skin on chicken, too.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 minutes minimum to an 1 hour. I've marinaded overnight, too, but be aware any marinade with an acid like the lemon will slightly toughen the outer skin of the chicken.