This oven baked chicken breast is full of Greek flavor! It’s golden on the outside and juicy on the inside. Make this recipe tonight for a delicious, easy dinner.
There are hundreds of baked chicken recipes out there, and it’s because it’s such an easy way to cook chicken.
This recipe is no different. First, marinate the chicken to give it a tasty Greek flavor. Then, bake and serve with your favorite side.
How to make oven baked chicken breast (or thighs)
Baking chicken is simple to do – just place the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish and place it in the oven to cook!
It’s also important to season your chicken. This recipe is for a baked Greek chicken, but the process is the same for any marinade.
You can also keep things simple by rubbing the chicken with some oil and sprinkling a spice blend over the top.
Baking times and temps
Cook time will vary a bit based on how much chicken you’re baking, as well as the type of oven you’re using.
For this recipe, the chicken will take about 45 minutes at 375 degrees F. It wouldn’t hurt to check it at the 35 minute mark just in case your oven runs hot.
Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest before slicing. This helps keep the moisture inside the meat instead of all over the plate.
MAKE THE MARINADE
This recipe uses a Greek yogurt chicken marinade that doubles as a dipping sauce.
The yogurt creates a caramelization on the outside of the chicken, and the whole dish has a wonderful tangy flavor.
- Greek yogurt – use a plain, full-fat variety
- Olive oil
- Garlic – use fresh cloves for better flavor
- Lemon – juice and zest
- Fresh herbs – oregano and parsley
- Spices – red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and pepper
Whisk everything together in a bowl and pour over the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
Use a shallow dish or Ziploc bag to marinate the chicken, not the same dish you’ll be baking it in.
BAKE AND SERVE
When you’re ready to bake, transfer the chicken pieces to your greased baking dish. Arrange them in a single layer and place the dish in the oven.
This baked Greek chicken goes great with a side of couscous, rice, or crusty bread.
- If you’ll be using bone-in meat, increase the cooking time to about 1 hour or until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees F.
- Create an extra crispy texture by using chicken with the skin on, if you prefer.
- You can use this marinade overnight if you’d like. Just keep in mind that the acidity from the lemon may make the outer skin of the chicken a little tougher than normal.
Other baked chicken recipes to try!
The flavors in this baked lemon rosemary chicken remind me of my Thai Roasted Chicken recipe. Or you can try one of these for more European flavors:
Watch how to make the baked Greek chicken below!
Easy Baked Greek Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or breast meat (boneless)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 lemon, medium (4 tbsp juice and zest from entire lemon)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl whisk together the plain Greek yogurt along with the olive oil, garlic, zest and juice from a lemon, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, chopped, fresh oregano and parsley.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 minutes minimum to an 1 hour (See Note 2).
- Use cooking spray or olive oil and coat the inside of a baking dish. For four pieces I use an 8x8" pan, but if more use a 13x9" baking dish. Shake off excess marinade and place the chicken pieces in a single layer. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until golden brown and chicken has 165°F internal temperature (See Note 1).
- If boneless chicken breasts are too thick or weight more than 6 ounces, slice in half horizontally and pound between sheets of plastic wrap for even thickness. For best results, use an instant read thermometer, the chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Yes, you can use skin on chicken, too.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 minutes minimum to an 1 hour. I've marinaded overnight, too, but be aware any marinade with an acid like the lemon will slightly toughen the outer skin of the chicken.