Mediterranean chicken is a one pan baked chicken recipe. Thanks to a quick chicken marinade, the chicken breasts are tender and full of Greek flavor.
Baked chicken is one of the easiest meals to make, especially when everything cooks in one dish like this one. Plus, it’s quick!
Including the time to marinate the chicken, your dinner will be on the table in only 45 minutes.
I have several baked chicken dinners that I prepare the same way, but they have different flavors. If you like easy dinner solutions, be sure to check those out!
Ingredients in Mediterranean Chicken
It only takes a handful of ingredients to make Mediterranean chicken, but the ingredients add vibrant Greek flavor. Here’s what you’ll need to make the dish:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh spinach– I use baby spinach, but you can use full size leaves if you want to.
- Artichoke hearts– These come in a jar or can and are found in the condiment aisle.
- Tomatoes– Because they are virtually seedless, I prefer to use tiny, teardrop grape tomatoes. Any color or variety of small tomatoes will do the trick.
- Black olives– If you use olives from a can or jar, be sure to drain them.
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Crushed red pepper flakes– Just a small pinch will give you an extra punch of flavor.
For the Chicken Marinade
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice– 2 regular size lemons will be plenty
- Minced garlic– Fresh garlic will give you more flavor, but for convenience, minced garlic is available
- Spices– All you will need are kosher salt, black pepper, and dried oregano.
Is it necessary to marinate chicken?
Now, maybe you’re wondering if you need to marinate chicken breasts. The answer depends on how much flavor you are willing to miss out on.
It won’t take you longer than 2 minutes to make the chicken marinade. Plus, the marinating takes place while you’re prepping the other ingredients. As a result, you aren’t going to gain much time by not marinating, and the flavor it brings to the chicken will not disappoint!
How to Make Baked Chicken Mediterranean
The complete instructions are shown in the recipe card below. This is just a guideline.
- Preheat your oven.
- Prepare the chicken marinade by whisking the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
Then, transfer it to a large zip top plastic bag, add the chicken breasts, and close the bag. Give it a quick massage and toss the bag into the fridge while you prep the other ingredients.
- Arrange the chicken and vegetables into a greased casserole dish.
- Bake until the internal temperature of the chicken at its thickest point is 165 degrees F.
The only thing missing from this meal are some grains or potatoes. The Greek flavors pair perfectly with sides like rice or tabbouleh.
Watch this video to see how easy the chicken recipe is to make!
Baked Mediterranean Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts 2 lbs boneless and skinless (See Note 1)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 5 oz bag of fresh spinach
- 15.5 oz artichoke hearts
- 2 cups baby tomatoes tear drop-grape
- 14.5 oz black olives drained
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons juiced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper.
- In a or bowl sealable plastic bag, add the chicken and marinade. Toss to coat or squeeze air out of bag and seal. Massage chicken with marinade and refrigerate while prepping vegetables.
- Place the spinach in a rectangle 9x12" casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray or olive oil and sprinkle with the red pepper flakes.
- Layer the chicken breasts on top of the spinach. Sprinkle the artichoke hearts, baby tomatoes, black olives and marinade on top of and around the chicken.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. (See Note 1)
- Remove from oven and add feta cheese crumbles to each piece of chicken. Put it back in the oven, uncovered for 5 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
- If chicken breasts are too thick, slice in half horizontally and pound between sheets of plastic wrap for even thickness. For best results, use an instant read thermometer, the chicken is cooked when it reaches internal temperature of 165°F.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.