Talk about a simple, delicious and creamy Avocado Cilantro Salad Dressing, this one hits the spot!
A neighbor came buy the house the other day and her avocado tree is ripening more avocados then she can eat and gave us quite a few. Within days they were ready to eat and besides my favorite stand by of guacamole, or chilled with a drizzle of balsamic syrup and cracked black pepper, I decided to make a salad dressing. I tested this using a half avocado at a time to get it right, but it didn’t take more than one avocado to get the recipe just the way I wanted!
In the blender went the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, several garlic cloves, a bunch of cilantro, pepitas, red pepper flakes, kosher salt and the avocados.
With the blender puréeing away I added the lemon juice and thinned it more with water. Removed the lid, tasted and adjusted the seasoning and pulsed it once or twice to blend and was quite pleased.
Although it still needed that kick. So I opted for some jalapenos and dropped those in and they did the trick. Creamy and nutty with a bite!
I am talking about the pickled, jalapeno rings you can find in the deli section of your market. I used about 10 rings and they gave the avocado cilantro salad dressing the zip it needed.
This is a creamy salad dressing, reminding me of a nice, thick bleu cheese salad dressing. The avocado and cilantro got a kick from the blended jalapenos and the pepitas gave it an added nuttiness to accent the avocados.
It was perfect over a bowl of mixed greens, pepitas, shredded carrots and pickled red onions.
Avocado Cilantro Salad Dressing
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup cilantro leaves (loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 white balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- pinch red pepper flakes
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup water (or more to thin)
- 10 pickled jalapeno rings
- Remove the pit and skins from the two ripe avocados. In a blender add the avocados, cilantro, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, garlic cloves, pumpkin seeds, pinch red pepper flakes and kosher salt.
- Blend until it comes together and add the juice from a lemon, water and the sliced jalapeno rings.
- Chill and when ready to serve spoon over salad or toss with salad greens to coat.