OK, so there is an over abundance of avocados around. The season is in full and there are so many ways to prepare this amazing fruit. Yes, it actually is a fruit, but I digress…
First thing that comes to mind is to mash it and make it a spread for a down and dirty, easy sandwich. I love sourdough bread and this adds just the right twang to the meal. Pair it with crisp bacon, a drizzle of PONTI – Glassa Gastronomica balsamic syrup (thicker then the default vinegar) and you have yourself a winning combination. Save that bacon fat for other uses!
Avocado, Bacon and Balsamic Sandwich
- toasted sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- avocados mashed to spread
- bacon cooked to your liking
- PONTI - Glassa Gastronomica a balsamic syrup thicker then the default vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook some bacon as described in a earlier post and let cool.
- In a bowl mash the avocado to a thick spreadable consistency. I used 1 large avocado for 2 sandwiches. In the meantime toast your sourdough bread and after spread with Dijon mustard on both slices.
- Layer the mashed avocado and at least 3 slices of crisp bacon on one slice.
- I drizzle a balsamic syrup a friend brought me from Italy on top to finish it off. It is an amazing touch of flavor and the maker is PONTI - Glassa Gastronomica, you can find it online, in certain specialty shops or Whole Foods.