I have to say, sometimes when making a pie if we don’t have company for dessert, an entire pie is a bit much to have around. So these individual Apple Rhubarb pies are perfect! But this recipe should do a regular pie just fine. I just made these four individual mini pies and ate two and froze two for later!
I like to use pastry dough, and the one I use for another dessert Cranberry, Apple, Ginger Hand Pies is perfect for this recipe. The flaky pastry crust for those are exactly what I wanted to use instead of a thick heavy crust.
First up lets wash and cut up the rhubarb into bite size chunks. Set aside.
Sauté the rhubarb with a large HoneyCrisp Apple and keep al denté. You don’t want mush!
I prefer to give the fruit a quick cook to release their juices and get partially soft as the pastry dough is super buttery and bakes quickly. Feel free to chop the rhubarb and apple and add to the pastry as is with the sugar and lemon zest for a more firm result.
After the fruit mixture was cooled I set it aside. Next I rolled out the pastry dough disk that has been out for 15 minutes to become a little pliable. I roll out and cut 4 circular disks with the large side dough cutter and place each dough bottom in a pie well.
Fill each pie well with a cup of the cooled rhubarb and apple pie filling.
Next, I roll out the remaining dough and using the other side of the dough cutter I punch out the tops and carefully place each one on top of the fruit and pinch the sides to seal to the bottom dough.
Whisk an egg with a little water in a small bowl and brush the tops of each pie. Next top each pie with White Sugar Sprinkles and place in a preheated 400° oven and bake for 28 minutes until golden brown and the filling has bubbled out on top.
Allow pies to cool before removing from pie pan and set on wire rack to cool completely.
Look at these beauties! And the flakey crust easily gives way to reveal the tart and tangy rhubarb and apple filling. The sides where the fruit bubbled out and got all sticky, gooey good is delicious and the sugar on the top of the crust balances out the tartness perfectly.
Apple Rhubarb Pie
- 3 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tbsp chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg beaten
- Raw sugar
- 6 rhubarb stalks chopped
- 1 large Honey Crisp Apple diced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pulse the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor to combine.
- Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. With motor running, slowly drizzle 1/2 cup ice water through feed tube. Pulse until dough just begins to come together.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball; flatten into disks.
- Wrap each disk tightly in plastic. Chill for at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD Dough can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- Take 1 chilled dough disk from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to soften slightly before rolling out, depends upon how thick your disk is when refrigerated. Keep second dough disk for other use.
- Combine rhubarb, apple, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer and begins to breakdown and thicken, 5-6 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray Mini Pie baking set with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. Working with 1 disk at a time, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until thin, about 1/8-inch thick. Using floured pie dough cutter make 4 rounds for the pie bottom crusts. Place each dough round into each prepared well and press gently into bottom and sides. Place 3/4 cup of filling in center of each well.
- Roll out remaining dough for the tops. Flour the smaller top dough cutter and punch out 4 tops. Place each round over the top of filled pies and press edges to seal with bottom crusts.
- Brush tops of pies with beaten egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake pies until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles out of Xs, 28 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack for 15 minutes and remove from pan and metal bottoms.