Alabama White Sauce (White BBQ Sauce)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Alabama white sauce is a tangy, mayo-based, white bbq sauce. Skip the tomato-based bbq sauces and make this recipe- the flavor is incredible!
What is Alabama White Sauce?
Need a change from your regular barbecue sauce? Ever hear of white BBQ sauce? This condiment is amazing and a fantastic change from typical vinegar/tomato puree or ketchup-based barbecue sauces.
This mayonnaise based white sauce requires no cooking, is whipped up in minutes, and has incredible flavor!
This bbq sauce recipe is pretty simple to make. Nonetheless, to see the process from start to finish, watch the video located in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Ingredients in white bbq sauce
- mayonnaise – Any variety of plain flavored mayo can be used, but I don’t recommend using non-fat mayo.
- creamy horseradish sauce – This is NOT the same as prepared horseradish. Actually prepared horseradish is one of the ingredients in creamy horseradish sauce.
- apple cider vinegar– the hint of apple cider gives a nice boost to the tangy flavor of the Alabama white sauce. Regular white vinegar will work in a pinch.
- yellow mustard
- sugar – Feel free to substitute with a granulated sugar substitute
- salt and black pepper
This is tangy, lip smacking and fun change that can be used on your next batch of smoked or grilled chicken. It’s key to make my Alabama Style Chicken Sandwiches and used it the other night on my BBQ Spatchcock Chicken. So, so good!
I like to reserve some white barbecue sauce to use as a dipping sauce for shredded chicken and in sandwiches, too.
For another homemade barbecue sauce, give my Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce a try on your next rack of ribs. Enjoy!
This post, originally published here on Kevin is Cooking 7/9/2018, was updated with additional content on 8/7/2021.
Alabama White Sauce + Video
- In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes before using. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Prepared horseradish is made with grated horseradish root, vinegar, and salt. Prepared horseradish is not the same as horseradish sauce but is an ingredient in it. Creamy horseradish sauce combines prepared horseradish with cream, sour cream, or mayonnaise, which makes it milder and creamier (The Spruce Eats). If using prepared horseradish, I would start with a 1/4 cup and taste test to suit your tastes for heat level.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.