You know there are times when a one pan meal sounds great, but honestly it’s not that much more effort to get your timing right and have a meal come together hot off the grill and right out of the oven, too.
Take this Turkish Grilled Chicken and Roasted Vegetables with Lemon and Basil for instance. I seasoned the chicken and allowed them to marinate first while the grill and oven heated up. Next, I cut up the vegetables, tossed them in seasoning and a little olive oil and roasted them. Then the chicken was timed to go on the grill and be cooked when the vegetables were almost done roasting. To plate this I tossed the chicken and vegetables together, allowing for the flavors to meld and squeezed some of the roasted lemons and chopped basil on top for a fragrant and tasty meal made in minutes.
For this vegetable roasting medley I used sliced brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower florets. Pay attention that the vegetables stay similar in size for even roasting. Toss with olive oil and the spice blend and place on a roasting pan. Set aside.
The idea is simple in fact, just like one of this site’s most viewed posts, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar & Honey. Simply toss the cut vegetables in olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, roast in the oven and then in a bowl, toss and coat with honey and balsamic vinegar. For this recipe though we omit the honey and balsamic and squeeze the roasted lemon over the vegetables at finish.
I also added to the vegetables some quartered lemons for the acid and flavor, along with some halved small red and golden potatoes as the starch element. The little potatoes get creamy on the inside and caramelized on the outside.
As for the chicken, I tossed them in the same Turkish Spice Blend that I use on another favorite of Pinterest, my Turkish Roasted Chickpeas. Made up of cumin, black peppercorns, oregano, bay leaves, paprika, cayenne and sumac, these are grilled and then added to the roasted vegetables.
To finish it all off add some sesame seeds and chopped basil on top and squeeze the roasted lemon all over for one delicious meal. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Turkish Spice Blend (see recipe below)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 12 1-inch size red/white potatoes, halved
- 4 lemons, quartered
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Turkish Spice Blend
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp black and pink peppercorns, each
- 2 tsp oregano and
- 5 Turkish bay leaves
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup chopped dried cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Start grill.
- In a bowl toss together the chicken, olive oil and 3 tablespoons of the spice blend. Cover and place in the refrigerator while cutting vegetables.
- Slice brussels sprouts and potatoes in half, cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets. Quarter the lemons. Pay attention that the vegetables stay similar in size for even roasting. Toss with olive oil and the 2 tablespoons of spice blend. Place on a lined roasting pan. Set aside.
- Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes and then start to grill the chicken 5 minutes per side for a total of 40 minutes total cook time.
- Remove chicken from grill, remove vegetables from oven and toss together onto a platter. Squeeze roasted lemon juice over and top with sesame seeds and chopped basil. Season to taste with kosher salt and serve.
- Spice Blend
- To make the spice mixture in a small sauté pan toast the cumin and peppercorns until the seeds start to pop, several minutes. Do not burn. Remove from pan and place in spice grinder with oregano, Turkish bay leaves and grind until powder.
- Add the chopped cilantro to the sauté pan and gently toast and dry over low heat slightly until dried.
- In a small bowl mix the ground spices with the kosher salt, paprika, sumac, cayenne pepper, sesame seeds and dried cilantro. Store in a airtight container.