This Southwest BBQ Chicken Salad with Grilled Corn is off the hook delicious, and uses one of my favorite fruits, the apricot. Watch the video to see how I make it! Grilled corn, avocados and a tangy lime honey dressing make this sing.
This one is perfect for Summer dinners, picnics and family and friend get togethers. Plus, this is done and on the table in 30 minutes!
Every now and then I go the “let’s make a huge salad” for the dinner route. You know, for a change, right? Well, for me that usually includes a protein of sorts to be included in the salad, and the other night was no exception.
Keeping it Southwest in taste I used a favorite BBQ sauce of mine from Loveless Cafe, but feel free to use whatever brand you enjoy. It is tangy, sweet and spicy all in one delicious sauce and makes grilling up some chicken after a long day super easy, too. I grilled some ears of corn first, love the charred kernels in salads, along with some colorful, chopped bell peppers, avocado and dried apricots for a sweet and tangy touch.
The chicken tenders grill up quick and I basted them with Loveless Cafe’s Sweet With A Bite BBQ Sauce. Heck, even Saveur Magazine declared it a “Sauce We Can’t Live Without.” I found them years ago while visiting family in Nashville. And no, I am not getting paid by them to pitch their BBQ sauce, it’s just my favorite and thought I’d share that sometimes I don’t make EVERYTHING on this food blog. Why mess with a good thing when they already perfected what I have tried to make.
To top it all off I made a lime and honey dressing and threw in some chickpeas (garbanzo beans) for another layer of texture all on a bed of mixed greens.
Pretty simple, no? Check it out. For other Southwest flavored meals check out my Southwest Sweet Potatoes Corn and Achiote Chicken or this Achiote Pan Seared Chicken on Southwest Rainbow Hash. Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared here on Kevin Is Cooking on June 2015 and has been updated with new photos and a video.
This Southwest BBQ Chicken Salad has it all from grilled corn & BBQ chicken, avocado, bell peppers and dried apricots. A lime and honey dressing makes it!
- 8 chicken tenders
- BBQ sauce of choice
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 avocado , diced
- 1/2 each red, green and orange bell peppers, ,chopped
- 10 dried apricots , chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
Brush the mayonnaise all over both ears of corn. Sprinkle kosher salt and cumin and grill until cooked and slightly charred (about 12-15 minutes total). Allow to cool and cut kernels off cob. Set aside.
- Chop the bell peppers, apricot and avocado. Drain garbanzo beans. Set all aside.
- Grill chicken tenders 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through depending on size, basting with BBQ sauce. Remove from grill, allow to rest (then chop into bite size pieces) while you make salad.
- In a mixing bowl add the honey, juice from lime and salt. Whisk together and add the salad greens. Toss to coat, divide salad greens on two plates.
- In the same bowl add the corn, bell peppers, apricot, avocado, chickpeas and chopped BBQ chicken. Mix well and divide on top of salad greens. Season with fresh cracked black pepper and serve.