Talk about finger lickin’ good, these Sweet and Sour Sticky Ribs are fall off the bone tender and coated in a spectacular Asian inspired sweet and sour sauce.
No BBQ grill required with these bad boys. I actually start these off in the slow cooker for 4 hours and then they get a 10 minute broil with a basting of the sauce. Easy enough?
Did everyone survive New Year’s Eve? I guess if you’re here you did! I for one am happy to move out of 2016 and look forward to new adventures. My goodness there sure were a lot of unfortunate passings of people I admired and enjoyed. Whether it be Prince, Bowie, George Michael, it was a huge hit for the music industry. Then we got a one-two punch with none other than Princess Leia herself, Carrie Fisher, and then her mother Debbie Reynolds one day later!
Let’s not forget such polarizing and influential icons like Leonard Cohen, Glen Fry, Merle Haggard, Muhammad Ali, Arnold Palmer, comic genius’ Gene Wilder and Garry Marshall, Morley Safer, Nancy Reagan, Fidel Castro, Brady Bunch mom Florence Henderson, Alan Thicke, Zsa Zsa. The list seemed to go on and on.
I mean even Michael “Jim” Delligatti, the inventor of McDonald’s iconic Big Mac sandwich, passed. Which brings me back to food. I mean that is why you’re here, right?
These baby back pork ribs get a spiced up, Asian-infused dry rub, then are cooked in the slow cooker. Yes, the slow cooker, until tender. No liquid, just in the slow cooker they go.
After 4 hours these get pulled out, put on a rack and basted with a sweet and sour marinade that gets all sorts of sticky sweet under the broiler for 10 minutes. That’s it!
These Sweet and Sour Sticky Ribs are perfect for dinner or served as appetizers. They are fall off the bone tender and that sauce! Let me tell you, it’s amazing and made with basic pantry items you probably have on hand. Apricot jam, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce to name a few.
So grab a napkin and let’s eat some ribs. We still have Betty White, Liza and Elton John. 🙂 Enjoy!
Talk about finger lickin’ good, these Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Sticky Ribs are fall off the bone tender and coated in a spectacular Asian inspired sweet and sour sauce.
- 3 lbs babyback pork ribs
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (See Note 1)
In a small bowl whisk together the garlic, ginger, salt, white pepper and Chinese Five Spice powder. In another bowl whisk together the jam, catsup, soy sauce, vinegar and teaspoon of reserved dry rub spices. Set aside.
- Keep the membrane on the back of the ribs so they hold together while in the slow cooker. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the dry rub for the wet basting sauce and rub the remaining on both sides of the ribs.
- Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray and arrange ribs along sides and bottom, meaty side facing down. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Carefully remove ribs from slow cooker and with a sharp knife pull off and remove back membrane on ribs. Place meaty side up on a wire rack in a lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush with sauce and broil 5 minutes. Baste and continue to broil another 5 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce and chopped cilantro as garnish.
- Apple cider, red or white wine vinegar may be substituted for the rice vinegar, but add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to the sauce mixture as well if substituting.