I call this my “skinny” version of the classic chicken cordon bleu. This one pan Open Faced Chicken Cordon Bleu has the ham, cheese and dijon, but isn’t breaded and fried. Check out the new video to see how to make it. This bakes open-faced and is on the table in under 30 minutes.
I’ve got you covered if you’re looking for a quick and easy mid-week dinner that I’m sure the kids would love, too.
While the traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu is a delicious breaded piece of chicken stuffed and rolled, then pan fried to a crunchy golden brown, this version skips the breading, is made open faced and heads into a healthier direction.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good, crunchy cordon bleu, like my Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu with Maple Dijon , but I make this Open Faced Chicken Cordon Bleu every once in a while for a quick and delicious dinner that’s on the table in 30 minutes. Serve with a side salad and you’re good to go.
Plus, this is all made in one pan so clean up is a cinch.
To keep it a light lunch, slice each chicken breast horizontally for 4 pieces if the chicken breasts are large.
I love the quickly browned chicken that has dijon mustard slathered on top and slices of ham and Swiss cheese all warm and gooey on top. A quick pop in the oven to finish off and lunch or dinner is served. Enjoy!
- 2 chicken breasts (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 slices deli ham (See Note 2)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (See Note 3)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Pound chicken breast to flatten to 1/2" or if large, slice horizontally. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly dust each side with flour.
In a oven proof skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and butter. Quickly pan sear the chicken on both sides until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes each side. Turn off heat and brush each piece of chicken with divided mustard. Top each piece of chicken with divided sliced ham and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top ham with Swiss cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes and serve immediately.
1. If large chicken breasts, slice horizontally for 4 pieces of chicken about 1/2" thick.
2. I often times pick up lunch meat sliced ham and it is super thin and small. I use 3-4 pieces or use 1 large slice from deli.
3. I often times pick up lunch sliced cheese and it is super thin and small. I use 2-3 pieces or use 1 large slice from deli.