A one pan meal packed with exotic spices and herbs with a little citrus flair? That’s exactly what’s in store for you with this perfect mid-week meal – One Pan Jerk Chicken and Rice with Oranges.
In the mood for some food with a Caribbean flair last week, I decided to make this jerk chicken dinner. When writing the recipe post for my Jamaican Pepper Sauce I mentioned that I noticed I had used up all my pepper sauce that’s in the refrigerator. This Jamaican Pepper Sauce is incredible, but the amazing flavors going on in this dish alone, due to the jerk seasonings and citrus marinade, are sufficient to tantalize, but feel free to use on the side for this too if you wish.
I’m talking about a spicy concoction of herbs and spices like thyme, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. My Jamaican Jerk Pork Ribs have a thick paste-like rub that includes Scotch Bonnet peppers, but not this one, it’s all herbs, spices and citrus for the marinade.
Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica in which meat is dry-rubbed or wet marinated with a very hot spice mixture. I think the addition of the citrus orange juice works well.
In this dish, white rice gets substituted with healthy long grain brown rice. Replacing white rice with brown reduces your risk of diabetes by 16%. Brown rice is actually white rice that has not be stripped of its nutrients. Two of those nutrients are fiber and magnesium and both of these have been shown to regulate blood sugar.
Eating less rice overall is even better and, now get this, replacing rice altogether with barley or any other grain reduces your risk of diabetes by 36%. Is that crazy – no! I’d say that’s fantastic.
This One Pan Jerk Chicken and Rice with Oranges is packed with robust flavor and the long grain brown rice is enriched in the chicken stock, spices and vegetables. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- ½ each green, red and yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 to 1¼ cups chicken stock
- 2 oranges, slices
- cilantro to garnish
- Jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground thyme
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ cup orange juice
- In a small bowl, whisk together the spices and rub jerk seasoning mixture over chicken. Place in a Ziploc plastic bag or bowl and add the orange juice. Massage the chicken, spices and juice inside bag or bowl. Marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Dice bell peppers and onion, set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade, reserve marinade. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a cast iron skillet or one that can go into the oven. Place the chicken skin side down and cook until browned on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- To the reserve marinade add enough chicken stock to make 1½ cups total.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet and over medium high heat and add the bell peppers and onion. Sauté for a few minutes then add the brown rice and toast for 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade chicken stock liquid mixture.
- Bring to a boil and add the browned chicken thighs. Nestle the chicken on top and press down slightly. Add orange slices and cover with lid or aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook for 5 minutes to caramelize the oranges. Check to see if all of the liquid has been absorbed. If not, continue to bake for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and serve garnished with the caramelized orange slices if desired.