These oatmeal cookies are packed with shredded apples, warm spices and topped with a simple maple glaze. Perfect little bites and the cookies are so soft and chewy!
I love to add apples to salads, chicken dishes and roasted vegetables. Here they get shredded and added to the oatmeal cookie dough. I decided to add a bit of the Fall and East coast to the cookie with a nice maple flavored glaze. These are great to have on hand during the holidays for houseguests and late night nibbles. 🙂
This one comes to you from a friend of mine some of you may know. Dorthy lives in Tennessee with her husband Gary and is a frequent visitor and commenter here. I love how food can bring people together and I met her here from my site. I first saw her on other friend’s site’s and then she found her way over to mine and the interaction and conversations with her are always fun.
She is always a positive, bright spot in the morning as I read her comments. It’s interesting to read someone’s comments and have an image in your head of what they look like and then actually see a picture of them. See, a year ago I sent her a photo of myself with Nagi from RecipeTin Eats and Marissa from Pinch and Swirl when we all met for the first time at the Food Blogger Central conference. Soon thereafter she sent each of us a photo of her and her husband. It was great to put a face to the name and words. So when my friend Nagi visited at my home last May, we decided ring Dorothy up and say hello. What a fun lady! On their property they grow lots of food, preserve and pickle. She is such a fun spirit.
She really liked my Baked Hasselback Apple I posted a few weeks ago and mentioned she wanted more apple recipes. Later in an email, she shared with me an apple cookie recipe she makes for Gary and here is my take on it for you guys.
I thought of another fellow food blogger she also often comments on Dave over at Spiced, and used a little maple syrup he turned me on to not long ago for the glaze. I ordered some on my own, not THE same one, that would be old by now, anyways…
While the original recipes hails from Live Well Bake Often, I decided to shred the apple instead of dicing it and added the maple glaze. When I make these I think of Dorothy and hope you will as well. Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large apple peeled and shredded (See Note 1)
- 1 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl combine flour, spices and salt.
- Peel and shred apple with cheese grater. Squeeze excess juice and drink or save for later use. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour and spice mixture, oats and apples. Using a two tablespoon scoop place dough on cookie sheets lined with parchment or silicon baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool.
- In a small bowl add powdered sugar, maple syrup and milk. Carefully stir to incorporate and drizzle over cookies.