Typically one would spend lots of time stirring and keeping an eye on stove top cooked polenta, but I’m here to tell you the Instant Pot makes one amazing version with minimal effort on your part. Let me show you How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Polenta.
Polenta is a wonderfully creamy and smooth cornmeal that is slowly cooked and eaten both savory and sweet. Best known in the Italian kitchen using cream and lots of cheese whisked in, it makes for a wonderful side dish, or as a base for other toppings or meat sauces.
I love to make it and while I enjoy the traditional cheesy method, often times I make a batch and pour it in a buttered dish to refrigerate and the next morning pan fry and drizzle with maple syrup for a switch up on the usual Sunday breakfast.
Today though we are staying savory and cutting the time and your elbow grease down by using the Instant Pot. Yes it can be done and I have the video to show you how easy it is, too.
Creamy, smooth and cooked completely, butter, cream and cheese get whisked in for a perfect bowl to serve and enjoy.
The trick in the past for me has always been the correct balance of water to cornmeal ratio. Well I’m here to say that it’s 4-to-1. Four parts liquid to one part cornmeal. Now this method using the Instant Pot takes that to the next level, and with no standing over the sputtering, hot pot.
Whether you choose to eat it this way, all creamy and smooth, or bake it, grill it, fry it up in a pan with some maple syrup drizzled on top, polenta is a delicious dish that is now easier to make with the Instant Pot method. On top of that, it’s gluten-free for those of you who need to watch that.
For today’s recipe I made it with added fresh herbs and it was the base for a tasty beef dish, but that post is coming later…. For now how about serving this with my Chopped Chicken Piccata or Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy and swap out the spuds. Enjoy!
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups chicken stock (See Note 1)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (See Note 2)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup Romano cheese grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves loosely packed, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves loosely packed, chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
Add the polenta to the Instant Pot and pour the chicken stock over. Add the salt and whisk to break up and lumps. Cover and cook on Porridge setting - High Pressure, Normal with a total of 20 minutes.
- When done, release vent value and open lid. Whisk to stir and add the butter and cream. Whisk to incorporate. Add the cheeses and herbs, whisk again until smooth.
- Serve with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Feel free to use vegetable stock or water.
- Feel free to use milk if you choose.