Thought I’d get a jump up on serving you an idea in case you have any left over ham after the Easter holiday. Warm, tender and flakey, these Ham and Cheese Scones make the most of any leftover holiday ham in a good way. Cheddar cheese and green onions complete a killer flavor profile in these scones that are perfect for any breakfast brunch.
Today I’ve teamed up with some great ladies to bring you recipe ideas for your Easter holiday and I hope you take a look at each of their recipes. I listed all of them below. Lot’s and lots of good stuff to tantalize. Sounds good, right? Mine is for any of that leftover ham, if of course there is any leftover ham. 😉
Simple and easy to make in no time, this is a great way to use any ham that didn’t make it into a sandwich or bean soup after the family gathered for the holiday. I do this about every time we have a ham, because they can be expensive and I’m getting every last bit out of it. Save that bone for soup, too.
If I’m not making this Slow Cooker Ham Bone Bean Soup or these Pineapple Ham and Cheese Hand Pies, then scones are next up to make use of any ham that might have found it’s way from not getting eaten the night before. While this Spicy Citrus Baked Ham Glaze was great, the leftovers I used for these ham and cheese scones hit the spot.
With scones you don’t need to overwork the dough, just press until it comes together, you don’t want tough scones!
And like I said, if there is any leftover Easter ham then I got you covered with these Ham and Cheese Scones!
Check out these ideas from…
Spring Roasted Carrot Noodle Salad with Thyme Vinaigrette from No Spoon Necessary
Earn Serious Bunny Points, And Make Easter Basket Cupcakes from The Sweet Nerd
Mini Egg Chocolate Bundt Cake from Girl Heart Food
Maple Bacon Deviled Eggs from Beyond Mere Sustenance
Lemon Curd Pavlova from Seasons and Suppers
Cookie Cutter Chocolates from Contemplating Sweets
Blood Orange Wheat Ale Pound Cake with Blood Orange Glaze from Beer Girl Cooks
Easter Mini Egg Cookie Bars from Salt and Lavender
Marbled Easter Egg Truffles from Sugar Hero
Angel Food Cupcakes with Compote Filling from Meg is Well
Easter Hazelnut Meringue Layer Cake from From Scratch Mostly
Spring Green Salad with Asparagus from Seasonal Cravings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cold butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions both white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 lb ham about 1 cup, diced small
- 1 cup heavy cream separated
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Dice enough ham into uniform pieces to make 1 cup total. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Mix in the cheese, green onions, and ham until evenly distributed.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cream, mixing with your fingers to combine. Press and squeeze the dough together, add some more cream until the dough comes together. Leave at least 2 tablespoons to brush on before baking. On a well-floured work surface pat the dough into a smooth 7" disk about 3/4" thick. Move the dough disk to the baking sheet. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the disk into 8 wedges, spreading the wedges apart a bit on the baking sheet.
- Brush the scones with a bit of cream. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool. Serve warm, or at room temperature with or without butter (optional).