This recipe for Green Chili Chicken with Beans is a wonderful meal of roasted green chilis, chicken and white beans that gets a punch of flavor from the chopped sage in the roux base. I build more flavor with the addition of cumin, garlic, homemade chicken stock and white wine.
Comfort food works for me, and a simmering pot on the stove of anything that permeates the house with a homey smell of tantalizing deliciousness does the trick. Now canned white beans, green chilies and chicken stock can be substituted here if pressed for time, but homemade is always better.
Plan ahead as the beans need to soak overnight or you can cheat and use canned white beans.
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced small
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 6 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ onion, chopped
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 1 roasted chicken, dark meat torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup diced roasted green chilies
- 2 tsp of ground cumin powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Soak the beans in water, covered by 1 inch overnight in a large bowl. Do not include any salt, it is a mistake to add at this stage as it will break the skins of the beans and make them tough.
- In the morning, rinse the beans and place in a pot, cover with the homemade chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low for 3 hours until beans are soft. Drain liquid and set beans aside.
- In a microwaveable dish add the chopped celery and carrots. Cover with chicken stock and cook on high for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large casserole pan make a roux and add the chopped sage. Cook on low for several minutes and then add the garlic, onions, steamed celery, carrots, wine and chicken stock.
- Next add the roasted chicken, green chilies, cumin, salt and pepper to taste and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped parsley.