Crème Brûlée is extremely easy to make, rich in texture and full of flavor, this is such an amazingly delicious dessert. It is a classic recipe with four simple ingredients. I have experimented with adding cinnamon or other flavorings in lieu of the vanilla to the liquid mixture prior to baking, but the vanilla is still the classic king.
Some people would think this to be a difficult dessert to make, but it is seriously easy with minimal ingredients and hands down is one of my top 5 desserts.
Preheat oven 300°.
- 10 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ cups whipping cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar for caramelizing tops after cooking
- Preheat oven 300°.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks with the sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is a pale yellow.
- Add the whipping cream and vanilla, and beat on low until well blended.
- To get rid of any foam or bubbles I use a strainer and pour the mixture through it into 8 ramekins or custard cups.
- Place filled ramekins in a water bath using a large pan filled with hot water that will almost reach top of ramekins) and bake until set, about 55 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours
- Prior to serving, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar over each custard. I use a small, hand-held torch to melt sugar until a burnt syrup is made. If you don't have a torch, place under the broiler until sugar melts. Re-chill the ramekins to harden the sugar for 15 minutes before serving.