I thought I’d share with you a favorite of ours that many of you might not have seen, this Crab Coconut Thai Soup. Made in 30 minutes and packed with crab, shrimp and Thai flavors, it delivers on big and bold.
This is a post from a while back when I first started this site so be gentle on the photos, but I thought it warranted a second look!
The other day I was in the mood for some soothing and flavorful soup because to me soup feeds the soul. I decided while at the market the seafood was too good to pass up and went for a Thai themed soup I love to make.
The crab and shrimp was just put out and looked great. I grabbed a couple crab legs, some medium sized shrimp and hit up the fresh vegetables and herbs. They had some lemon grass, amazing basil and jalapeños.
When I got home I broke out the large soup pot and poured in some homemade chicken stock. Over medium heat I started the stock simmering and washed the lemon grass.
To get the most flavor out of them I used the side of my knife and smashed the bulb end of each and cracked it open. Trimming the tops off I cut each in half and dropped them in the simmering chicken stock.
Slice the ends off the jalapeño pepper, slice it down the middle lengthwise and drop it in the stock as well.
After the lemon grass and jalapeño simmered in the chicken stock for 15 minutes, pull them out and discard. Add the peanut butter, coconut milk, fish sauce and Sambal Oelek Chili Paste and using a whisk to stir to mix completely.
Wash and slice the water chestnuts in half and do a quick chop on the basil and set aside. Next up, I cracked the crab legs open and removed the beautiful, sweet crab meat and set aside. Doing a quick chop for bite size pieces and washed the shrimp that was already cleaned and deveined. Add the seafood and water chestnuts to the pot and cook on low for another 5 minutes until heated through and serve topped with basil.
The sweet crab goes perfectly with the flavorful broth. The coconut milk mixed with the peanut butter and spicy chili paste is so good. I keep taking spoonful after spoonful.
The nuance that the fish sauce gives with this is amazing. All topped with the fresh chopped basil and slight crunch of the water chestnuts and shrimp makes this a great, light and healthy meal. Enjoy!
- 2 large crab legs
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 stalks lemon grass
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- ¼ cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 tbsp Sambal Oelek Chili Paste
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 large basil leaves
- Heat the 3 cups of chicken stock in a stock pot.
- With the side of your knife smash the bulb ends of the lemon grass. Trim the top ends off and chop each stalk in half. Trim the stem off the jalapeño and slice lengthwise down the middle. Add to the simmering stock for 15 minutes.
- Next add the coconut milk, chunky peanut butter, Sambal Oelek Chili Paste and fish sauce. Stir to incorporate with a whisk.
- Crack the crab legs open and remove the crab meat. Do a quick chop for bite size pieces and set aside.
- Wash the shrimp that was already cleaned and deveined. Add the seafood and water chestnuts to the pot and cook on low for another 5 minutes until heated through and serve topped with basil.