OK, Valentines Day is around the corner and I thought I’d post a dessert recipe. It’s been awhile, but these Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies are sure to please. Soft shortbread laced with chopped cherries with white and dark chocolate chips. Feel me? Yum!
This uses my basic shortbread cookie dough recipe, but is chock full of delicious, sweet maraschino cherries. To satisfy the chocolate craving, I added white chocolate chips and took it a bit further with some mini dark chocolate chips as well.
Like I’ve said before, this is a site devoted to helping “mixed diet” families, like Dave and I, make meals that are every bit as delicious as they are healthy – because life’s too short to be bland! That includes desserts and I wanted a cookie darn it!
With Dave being a type 2 diabetic I have really made an effort to make meals and desserts with him in mind to be able to enjoy.
Every now and then I make something for me and you. He has one and that’s it. So with everything, a little moderation is in order and just a couple of these will do. The rest, are for friends. Really. Scouts Honor.
These come together quickly and can be enjoyed fresh from the oven with a glass of cold milk and your sweetie.
These Cherry Shortbread Cookies are chock full of delicious, sweet maraschino cherries, white and dark chocolate chips for a perfect sweet snack treat.
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup maraschino cherries chopped
- 1/2 cup white and/or dark chocolate chips
- In a mixer, cream the butter and the sugar. In a bowl sift together the flour and the salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture until it comes together. Mix in the maraschino cherries, white chocolate and dark chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula, scoop the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, and form into a 2 inch diameter log. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and freeze for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpat (silicone baking sheet). Unwrap the cookie dough log, and using a very sharp knife, cut into 1/4-inch slices, and arrange on the baking sheets. This makes 24 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool slightly and move to a cooling rack.