In trying to keep the sugar levels down and make a delicious cake nonetheless, this recipe does the trick. Chocolate is a favorite, and paired with a little espresso, it bumps the flavor to another level.
The texture and flavor is unbelievable. I added a creamed butter frosting to top it off. The cake is low in sugar and calories, but I can’t say the same for the frosting. To keep it low as well, you could eliminate the frosting and add berries and a whipped topping.
Preheat oven to 350˚.
- PAM non-stick spray
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp instant coffee crystals
- 4 oz chocolate chip morsels
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cube softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- or 1½ cups fresh mixed berries
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- In a medium saucepan mix together the sugar, water, coffee crystals - bring to a boil. Stir in the chocolate morsels and whisk until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. In a small bowl whisk the yolks and the vanilla. Slowly add the chocolate mixture and whisk thoroughly to blend. Set aside.
- In another bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and baking powder. With a whisk, mix dry ingredients. Slowly whisk in the egg yolk and chocolate mixture until smooth.
- In a larger bowl add the egg whites and beat on high until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, slowly fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites, folding over to incorporate until all are mixed thoroughly and the mixture is light.
- Do not over mix! Spread the mixture into the prepared 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top springs back to the touch. It make appear cracked and will fall slightly when cooling. This is to be expected.
- While cooking, beat together the softened butter and powdered sugar to form a thick frosting. I used a whisk to incorporate this slowly. It may appear too thick at first, but the butter will dissolve the powdered sugar. Continue to whisk until smooth.
- When the cake has cooled, remove from springform pan, place on a cake plate and spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake, making sure not to drag crumbs.
- This makes between 6 to 12 slices, depending on the size!