Whether it’s cold out and you need a rib sticking meal made in minutes, or you need to feed a meat and potatoes kind of crowd, this Beef Marsala and Scalloped Potato Casserole is always a win! Comfort food with an amazing flavorful twist.
This Beef Marsala and Scalloped Potato Casserole uses browned, ground beef in a savory, delicious marsala wine sauce all layered with cheddar cheese and tender scalloped potatoes.
If you need a meal in minutes then this is for you. Made with items I’m sure most of you have on hand and easy enough to put together, it’s a winner when short on time and wanting a tasty meal.
I sauté an onion and add the ground beef to a skillet, deglaze the pan with a bit of marsala wine, sprinkle flour on and cook for a bit. Then add beef broth and you’re set. Pour into a casserole dish coated with cooking spray and add the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the scalloped potatoes on top and pour the milk and water over all. In the oven for 20 minutes and you’re feeding the family. To grateful applause, too.
This past week has been a bit of a tough one while being a little under the weather and playing with ideas with “what’s in the pantry so I don’t have to hit up the store.” I’ve made this for us numerous times and knew it was a good one. With a box of scalloped potatoes staring at me, I decided to put that ground beef to use and make this happen.
There are a few pantry items I keep around (scalloped potatoes) for days like this where I don’t feel like making something from scratch, you feel me? All you need to do is bump them up a little to elevate and make them better.
This may seem like a simple meal, but with the marsala wine sauce addition, it’s taken up a notch in the flavor department. I love the flavor of the marsala wine, a rich and somewhat sweet flavor that mixes well with beef or chicken. You can get it either sweet or dry like in my Apricot Baked Chicken or this amazing Plantation Pulled Pork with Orange Sauce.
As the base for this dish, the beef marsala was perfect for the sharp cheddar cheese that topped it and the beautifully caramelized scalloped potatoes.
A hearty, rib sticking meal that is comforting and delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium brown onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 4.7 oz box of scalloped potatoes (See Note 1)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp butter
- parsley for garnish chopped
Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil and sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Add the ground beef and break it up with a spoon and brown for several minutes.
Deglaze the pan with the marsala wine and reduce to half. Sprinkle the garlic powder and flour on top of meat and stir. Cook for 2 minutes and then add beef broth. Stir as sauce will thicken. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a casserole dish coated with cooking spray and add the cheddar cheese on top.
In a small bowl whisk together the milk, water, butter and sauce mix from scalloped potato box.
Sprinkle the scalloped potatoes on top of cheddar cheese and meat mixture and pour the milk mixture over all. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered or until top is golden brown and edges crispy. Top with parsley for garnish (optional) and serve.
- If not using boxed Scalloped Potatoes: slice thin 1 large or 2 medium potatoes. In a large saucepan combine the sliced potatoes, 1 tablespoon of butter and enough milk to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stir and cook 8 minutes. Layer the simmered potatoes on top of the cheddar cheese and meat mixture. To 2/3 cup of the milk mixture add seasoning of choice in lieu of packaged spice packet add some more cheese if you like. Pour over all. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered or until top is golden brown and edges crispy.