Waffles don’t just have to be for breakfast you know. I love a savory one for dinner and these BBQ Beef with Jalapeño Cornmeal Waffles were dinner the other night. Made with cornmeal, whole wheat flour, chopped pickled jalapeños and topped with a lime sour cream sauce, they made for one hearty meal.
The other day Dave made these fantastic Jalapeño Cornmeal Waffles for breakfast. My first thought was that they could be a fantastic base for a dinner. Both BBQ beef and chicken came to mind, and I decided to try them out this weekend.
We always make extra waffles to freeze either for another breakfast or like this scrumptious dinner. It makes sense with just the two of us to make a full batch and pop the cooled, extra ones in a Ziploc and then in the freezer. Makes the next breakfast or dinner easier and a meal come together so quickly.
I like to use beef strips form the market that is for stir frys. It’s thin cut and I just cube it and marinate it. My favorite BBQ sauce is from Loveless Café. I order it online from Tennessee. It’s the perfect blend for me of sweet, tangy and heat. Feel free to use whatever brand is your favorite or make you own.
I marinate the meat for at least 4 hours, but prefer overnight for maximum flavor penetration. It sears quickly and the sugar caramelizes and the edges gets a little crunchy and browned.
I felt it needed a little something and whisked together some sour cream with freshly juiced lime and the zest. It added the tang to cut the slight heat and richness from the cornmeal, jalapeño wheat waffles.
Waffle lover? Check out my breakfast Date Honey Bran Waffles, Blueberry Poundcake Waffles, these savory Thai Shrimp Waffle with Spring Salad, or these Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Glaze dessert ones. Enjoy!
BBQ Beef with Jalapeño Cornmeal Waffles made with cornmeal, whole wheat flour,BBQ beef tips, jalapeños and topped with a lime sour cream sauce. Marinate beef in BBQ sauce for at least 4 hours, but best if overnight.
- 1 lb beef strips cubed (See Note 1)
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 pickled jalapenos chopped
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 lime juice and zest
- cilantro leaves
- Cube the beef and mix with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cover and marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk, melt butter and eggs. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder & soda, salt and jalapenos. Pour in the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- In a small bowl whisk together the juice and zest from the lime with the sour cream. Set aside.
- Make your waffles per your waffle maker’s instructions.
- While making waffles, get a large skillet hot, add the oil and brown the beef, searing on all sides for 6-7 minutes.
- Divide the BBQ beef cubes over each waffle and drizzle with lime and sour cream sauce. Top with chopped cilantro leaves and serve.
- I get bottom round that's been cubed into bite size pieces from the meat section or ask your butcher.