Call these breadsticks or twists, my Bacon Puff Pastry Cheese Twists are sweet, savory, crunchy and another perfect handheld appetizer for any party.
Made with puff pastry, Major Grey’s chutney, or jam of choice, cheddar cheese all twisted with bacon and baked to crispy goodness! Who could resist when you serve these up?
Super easy to put together with no experience required to make. You and these will be the hit of the party.
While I use chutney is this, any favorite jam of yours will do as well, though I might stick with apricot or peach. I actually painted one puff pastry sheet with four different jams and chutney to see which tasted better in a taste test. The apricot and peach had better appeal to me than the strawberry or grape did.
Major Grey’s Chutney is a favorite of mine and I love it smeared on flatbread like this Tandoori Chicken Flatbread and on pizzas. It’s perfect as a dipping sauce for numerous chicken appetizers and here in my Cheddar Bacon Puff Pastry Twists. Major Grey’s Chutney dates back to the 19th century and is presumably created by a British Army officer. The standard ingredients are mango, raisins, vinegar, lime juice, onion, tamarind and spices.
Crunchy and buttery puff pastry slathered with flavorful mango spiced Major Grey’s chutney and bacon twisted all around seem like an irresistible appetizer to me.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry dough thawed, 2 sheets
- 1 cup Major Grey’s Chutney or apricot preserves
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 lbs bacon about 24 slices
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Set baking racks in each pan and spray racks with cooking spray.
- Roll out one puff pastry sheet to 8x12 inches. Brush with egg and spread ½ cup of chutney or preserves over dough up to edges. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of shredded cheese pressing lightly into dough to adhere. Starting at the short end of dough, fold over to enclose cheese mixture and press down lightly to seal. Cut short-wise into 12 ½-inch strips. Repeat process with remaining puff pastry and ingredients.
- Lay out one slice of bacon and lay one strip of cheese dough, stretching carefully the length of bacon. Pinching both ends, twist in opposite directions several times to spiral bacon and dough. Place on baking rack. Repeat with all.
- Bake 30 minutes or until pastry is browned and bacon crisp. Let cool five minutes and carefully remove twists from racks. Serve warm.